February 8, 2016

Dance Magick Dance





Wal-Mart has the policy of three days off for bereavement. This was brought to my attention less than a week after the death of David Bowie. As, I should be over his death a week later.
I knew about David Bowie as long as I knew my Grandma Rhoades. She died in 1997 and I’m still not over her death.
So a week later, I was not over David Bowie’s death.
Every death since 1997 has been the reliving the pain of losing my Grandma Rhoades. And having losing all three of my grandmas now, death hurts me deep.
David Bowie’s death is not that pain. I have a very good friend that moved away from me. The pain I felt when he was gone, I didn’t think I was going to make it after he was gone. That’s how I feel about Bowie. I don’t know if I can make it when him gone.
Bowie was gearing up to release a new album. After watching the video for the song “Blackstar” I thought Bowie was going to start a new religion. He turned 69 and released his new album, Blackstar, on January 8th. I was excited for the album to come out and could not wait to buy it.
Three days after his birthday and the release of his newest music, Nicole woke me up with the news.
Nicole told me the story of having dreams when she was little girl of a man. She kept having theses dreams, off and on. One day, her mom found a movie for her to watch. It was Labyrinth and there was the man of her dreams: Jareth, the Goblin King, David Bowie.
Nicole was my gateway to the world of David Bowie. I didn’t start off as a fan but I learned to love his music.
I studied Bowie’s music, the lyrics, the melody, the chords. I purchased an anthology of Bowie sheet music and arranged it for French horn for Nicole. The highlight of the book was the photos of Bowie throughout the decades.
My classmate saw the book and asked who was the man in the picture. Bowie, I replied. He asked few minutes later on a different picture. It’s still Bowie, I said. He was amazed it was the same man.
Bowie is ice cream: everyone loves ice cream; you just need to find your flavor: Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Thin White Duke, Jareth, Button Eyes.
So on that Monday, I got out of bed, got dressed and went to work. If ever a day I wanted a drink before work, it was that day.
I spent the day will the feeling of lost, pure lost. The thoughts in my head were what hasn’t Bowie touch? Would my 17 year old coworker be wearing glitter eyeshadow if it wasn’t for Bowie?
Right now, we are in the middle of season two of Agent Carter which is hold me over until the rest of season three of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. But in March is season 2 of Daredevil. After that, it’s may with Captain America: Civil War and then the wait still November for Doctor Strange. But hey, maybe Luke Cage or season two of Jessica Jones will be up. Or I can watch the other 12 Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. Or share a storm of memes or haunt Tumblr post about the MCU.
And all of this can be traced back 8 years ago to a little movie called Iron Man. That movie was the start of the sprawl we have today, the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
David Bowie is like Iron Man. Eight years later and I am living in a Marvel filled world. “Space Oddity” came out in 1969. There is nothing in this world that cannot be traced back to Bowie.
I put myself under pressure to write this post. I went down to the underground, where time may change me. But I put on my red shoes and time took another cigarette as they pulled you out of the oxygen tent. I’m afraid of Americans (it took him minutes, took me nowhere) and slow burns but everyone says hi but you can be mean and I’ll drink all the time.
Hot tramp, I love you so.
Requiescat in pace, David Jones.


No comments: