June 23, 2014

Red is My Favorite Color





in the sweet afterglow of a post Avengers summer, it was announced that a Guardians of the Galaxy movie was going to be added to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). i asked my boyfriend what was that all about. he mention a raccoon.
me: a raccoon? like in my backyard kind of raccoon?
boyfriend: well, he’s part of alien race of raccoons. he also has a friend that’s a tree, like the ents from Lord of the Rings.
in another lifetime, i would be a DC fan. my boyfriend is a Batman fan, and Batman was my favorite superhero growing up, and The Dark Knight, come on! how sexy and dark and wonderful is that movie? i should be all “go DC!” and looking at the trailers for Guardians of the Galaxy as stupid. i mean, a raccoon with a gun and he has a tree-person? come on! how inane can you get?
but, long ago on Twitter a name was mention that was tied to the MCU, to write and direct a movie. and that’s when i become a fan.
and that name was Joss Whedon.
i came to the MCU, not as a comic book fan, or even as a fan of their movies. i came because of Joss.
i love Buffy. i love Spike (hell, i want to name a child after him). i love the fandom that Joss has.
in the early days of our courtship, there was times where me and Matthew only talked in Buffy quotes.
that’s what the show means to me. it’s deep into my soul.
to celebrate our 2nd anniversary, me and Matthew went and saw Avengers.
and the world was never the same.
i was never the same.
i have seen every Marvel movie (even the non-MCU ones) in the theater (with Colt and/or Matthew by my side), waiting till midnight for the new DVDs to come out, hell, i reworked my work schedule so i could be home to see Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D..
this isn’t about movies anymore, this is my new religion.
Joss is what brought me to this super-franchise. Joss has gotten me to watch live television, live tweeting it with many other nerds and the cast members. Joss got me a dates with Colt. Joss got me to have my 5th anniversary turn into the epic event of seeing Avengers 2 next year.
Joss is the reason i’m excited to see a movie about a raccoon and his tree-person.
and the fact i have the word “tree-person” in my vocabulary now.
then this Tweet appeared on the internet:

and really, shouldn’t Wonder Woman be on the big screen by now? she has twice the years as Guardians of the Galaxy. hell, i even know more about her off hand then i do of the Guardians of the Galaxy.
and with kids growing up with awesome DC animation shows now-a-days, with Wonder Woman being there and being a general kick ass character, why the hell is taking so long for her to get her own damn movie?
and then there is this comic that floated out this year: http://www.dorkly.com/post/62412/the-trouble-with-wonder-woman
i will agree that Thor and Wonder Woman are similar in broad stokes, like the comic points out. but there is that one thing that makes them different.
Wonder Woman is a woman.
watching Days of Future Past, i was craving more Mystique screen time. it wasn’t till much later that i realized why. i’m not a fan of the character, but Mystique is a woman. and in a movie that’s almost all male, she had the most screen times.
i was rooting for the “bad guy” because she is female and i could relate to her.
billion, trillion dollar movies being made, only one female worth showing much screen time.
and she wasn’t on there that much.
Anthony Mackie (Falcon from Captain America: The Winter Solider) said something worth noting.
When I first got this role I just cried like a baby because I was like, “Wow, next Halloween, I’m gonna open the door and there’s gonna be a little kid dressed as the Falcon.” That’s the thing that always gets me. I feel like everybody deserves that. I feel like there should be a Latino superhero. Scarlett [Johansson] does great representation for all the other girls, but there should be a Wonder Woman movie. I don’t care if they make 20 bucks, if there’s a movie you’re gonna lose money on, make it Wonder Woman. You know what I mean, ’cause little girls deserve that. There’s so many of these little people out here doing awful things for money in the world of being famous. And little girls see that. They should have the opposite spectrum of that to look up to.(Patozzi).
and as someone who’s part of a group who makes up 50%, or so, of the world’s population, shouldn’t i have a movie about a superhero woman before the raccoon/tree-person movie?
well, 2017 is when Wonder Women is supposed to have her big screen debut. 75 years after she first appeared in print.
for this year, we have a raccoon/tree-person movie.
because the world is ready for that, but not a woman solo superhero movie.


side note: so, why the hell is this titled “Red is My Favorite Color”? 

before every Marvel movie, the screen lights up red, and then the “Marvel” appears across the screen. 
that opening credit, that turns me on last i saw it. 
red is my power color, but with the word Marvel, it’s a whole new lvl of power, magick, sex, and everything in between.




Works Cited

  • Patozzi, Jill. The Mary Sue. 15 April 2014. 19 June 2014.  http://www.themarysue.com/anthony-mackie-wonder-woman-movie.

No comments: